Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Don't Call Me Badass, and It's Not a Competition

"BADASS" is not the first word that comes to mind at all, when I'm climbing, snowboarding, in the mountains, or on a cliff, out in the wilderness somewhere. In fact, I don't fee "badass". Most of my trips, I'm sketched out of my mind, freaking out. My legs are shaking, body's burning. I can barely catch my breathe. I'm sweaty, dirty, and smelly. My hair's all matted up, and tangled. Some trips, I haven't bathe or seen a real bathroom in a day or two. My nose drips when it's cold outside and I don't even have enough tissue paper to wipe it off..Let's face it, I would have been more comfortable at home.

Yet, I love what I do. It's not so I can brag to my friends about my adventures. It's not about how many mountains I've climbed, what routes I've ticked off, not even about what grade I can climb. It's not about "first's". There will always be someone else is better, faster, more experienced - and it's not my mission to compete.

It's about being free, and outdoors, and seeing where I can go and end up.  It's my journey, to see a part of the world and understand it's beauty. There's always a grand feeling when you are above the clouds and see the valley below, with the birds flying next to you. It's the smell of fresh pine and feeling the crisp cool stream.



No comments:

Post a Comment