Monday, July 16, 2012

To Date or Not to Date: Another Climber

For those of us who love climbing, we end up spending more time with our climbing partners then some of our loved ones. It becomes hard to resist dating a fellow climber. We spend so many weekends together, climbing, planning and seeking adventure, and surviving epics. There's always those great stories of our trials and tribulations to be shared, told and retold. There's endless adventures under the stars, and beautiful mountain tops to be on together.

When I first started climbing, I had a non-climber boyfriend. The relationship quickly ended a few months later. He played video games, and I climbed so much that we never saw each other that much. In the end, we mutually agreed to part ways, since we no longer really shared anything in common. Even after that relationship, for a little while, I was opposed to dating another climber. The climbing community is small, I liked keeping my climbing life drama free and simple.

I, too, succummbed to temptation. After a fling with a fellow climber that ended very badly and in deep utter embarrasment. It was tough trying to piece my climbing life back together. We shared so many mutual friends, who's side are they on, mine or his? I didn't want to force our friends to choose, so I decided to give up. I continued to climb with 3 of my closest climbing partners, but withdrew deeply from the rest of the community and friends.

I had countless of friends, who ended up together, and then broke up. They too, experienced the painful process of figuring out among their friends who was on who's side. Trips and events became awkward, who gets invited, him or her? What happens when we end up all on the same trip? It seems tough to have a clean break and just start fresh.

Despite all the past drama, I ended up with a climber boyfriend. After all, I loved climbing and being outdoors, and I love sharing the experience with someone I love and trust. We understood each other's passion for the sport. The best of all, after a long hard day making to the top of the mountain and back, it's nice to share a moment under the stars together.

No comments:

Post a Comment